Best Family Lawyer – Tom Gay

Practice Areas

Family law proceedings concern legal matters between individuals in which a domestic connection is a common thread. Attorneys who practice family law frequently represent individuals in divorce, child custody, adoption, guardianship, and other domestic issues.

If you must go to court regarding a family law issue, you should retain a family law attorney. This lawyer will help you gain knowledge about the legal process. Additionally, they will give you a thorough understanding of your rights.

Thomas E. Gay, Esquire, has zealously represented domestic relations clients for the past 20 years. Through his long career, Tom Gay has become the best family lawyer in Delaware. If you need help keeping your family together, you need Tom Gay.

Tom Gay also focuses his practice on other family law matters such as petitions for protection from abuse, child support, and guardianship proceedings. For help with divorce proceedings, contact the Law Offices of Murray, Phillips, & Gay

Domestic Relations In Kent And Sussex County, DE

The firm’s domestic relations practice takes great pride in providing responsiveness, service, and civility to all potential and actual clients. The firm’s Domestic relations practice also focuses on settlement, mediation, and arbitration. With the assistance of Tom Gay and the entire Murray, Phillips, & Gay team, you can rest assured that we will do our very best to find an outcome that is agreeable for all parties while keeping you and your children’s best interests in mind.

Our domestic relations services include:

Family Law In Court In Kent And Sussex County, DE

If litigation is necessary, Tom Gay has extensive experience litigating high conflict/or high-value cases requiring a variety of expert testimony. Mr. Gay represents clients in family court cases both married and unmarried litigants alike. The firm understands the sensitive and emotional nature of family law matters. As such, your domestic relations lawyer and the entire staff at the firm maintain the strictest confidence. Learn more about Child Custody Law

We’re there for your family no matter when your case goes to court. We’re even in court over Christmas. Choose the Law Offices of Murray, Phillips & Gay for support for your family during one of the hardest things it may face, family court over Christmas

Protection From Abuse In Kent And Sussex County, DE

If you need help leaving an abusive or dangerous relationship, call the Law Offices of Murray, Phillips & Gay to learn more about Protections from Abuse, restraining orders, and gaining full custody of your children. For additional resources, consult the Delaware Coalition Against Domestic Violence or Child Inc in Georgetown, DE

Leaving a negative relationship can cause a lot of problems. It may seem impossible or even dangerous. If you believe that your partner or ex-partner will hurt you, or they have been hurting you, you should consider filing for a Protection from Abuse in Delaware, called a PFA. This court document acts similarly to a restraining order and protects you and your children from future abuse. 

When someone files a protection from abuse petition, it goes before a Commissioner of the Family Court to determine if the accusation supports an immediate order. If the Commissioner decides the allegations warrant an immediate order, he or she can order, among other things, that the offender or Respondent be required to leave his home, relinquish firearms, and have no contact with the person claiming to be the victim or his children.

The court can also issue temporary custody orders. Once a Petition for Protection From Abuse has been filed and a decision made whether to issue an ex parte order, the Petition needs to be served on the Respondent and a hearing scheduled within 10 days. 

Divorce or Annulment Issues In Delaware

To file for divorce or annulment in the state of Delaware, it is required that the filer or the filer’s spouse resided in Delaware for a minimum of six months before the filing action. In the case of an individual who is serving in the military, the filer or filer’s spouse must prove that he or she has been stationed in Delaware for at least six months before the filing for divorce or annulment.

It is necessary to be legally separated for a minimum of six months before filing for divorce or annulment in Delaware unless grounds for misconduct apply.

A family law attorney can assist an individual in several ways in the case of divorce or annulment. Our attorneys can represent you if you have concerns about spousal support, alimony, child support, or child custody and visitation issues.

To avoid a trial, your attorney can detail a settlement plan. The lawyer will then work with your partner and their legal representatives to agree to the settlement plan. The attorneys will typically discuss important concerns such as child custody, support, and visitation. They may also discuss issues such as dividing marital property in a fair way and spousal support. Learn more about Divorce.

Attorney Assistance In Guardianship Matters

Legal guardians in Delaware possess the duties, rights, and powers needed to care for and protect a child under 18. They are responsible until the adolescent reaches 18 years of age. The guardian must be at least 18 years old. Additionally, they must accept the responsibility to make important decisions for the child. Including:

  • welfare and upbringing,
  • medical treatment,
  • education,
  • and other issues.
The guardian is a non-parent of the child. However, guardians are often family members. The Guardianship Order also includes a Custody Order pertaining to the child.

A family law attorney who handles Guardianships will work with the ward and the court to ensure that the Guardianship arrangement is beneficial to the child. Additionally, to argue your case, the family lawyer may present evidence to the court. This evidence will work to establish that the child requires a legal guardian to handle the responsibilities of the ward’s upbringing, wellbeing, and other matters.

Why Do You Need A Family Lawyer?

Hiring a family law attorney in Delaware is beneficial for many legal domestic issues. First, you must understand your rights. Second, ensure that you are well represented in court and all other legal matters. Additionally, our family lawyers provide the expertise you need to handle family law issues. Lastly, they provide needed support during this time. 

While a family lawyer cannot guarantee any particular outcome in court, they can help you understand your rights and your case. Hire a family lawyer to help your family and your case. 

If you need help you navigate a family law issue, contact an experienced family law attorney. The Law Offices of Murray, Phillips & Gay is a respected Delaware law firm that provides legal representation in family law matters. 

Contact A Delaware Family Law Attorney

If you are looking for representation in a divorce, property division, or alimony proceedings, please call the Delaware Family Law attorneys at the Law Offices of Murray, Phillips & Gay. We can also help with as well as custody/visitation disputes in Delaware. To discuss your Delaware family law case, dial (302) 855-9300.

Contact Us

Practice Areas


What Our Client Says

Dennis McCole
Dennis McCole
Julie/Pam r helping me/my brother's after my mother's death
Very helpful and thorough easy to work with very accommodating
Brian Butler
Brian Butler
Very professional office! Hope to never need this office services again. If I do ronnie phillips will have my buisness!
Philip VonVille
Philip VonVille
Very good at what he does Gives you great advice and representation
Greg Mears
Greg Mears
Mr.phillips is a good lawyer he will definitely fight for you till the end. I was extremely satisfied.

Contact Your Delaware Criminal Defense & Family Law Lawyers

Serving Sussex & Kent County

No lawyer can advise you without knowing your situation. We would like to meet with you, in person, to discuss your case. To schedule an appointment, please give us a call or fill out the contact form, below.
Scroll to Top