Delaware Drug DUI
Delaware Drug DUI
Any person caught operating a vehicle under the influence of any drug is guilty of drug DUI. A person who is found to have any amount of recreational drugs in his blood within four hours of operating a vehicle, suggesting that he had unlawful use prior or during driving is also guilty of DUI.
Delaware implements zero tolerance when it comes to driving under the influence of drugs (DUID). If a police officer suspects that a driver has any trace of illicit drug in his system, he has every right to arrest him. Any actual evidence of impaired driving is not necessarily needed.
Prohibited drugs include all controlled substances regulated by federal law. The list can be found on the Drug Enforcement Administration website. In addition, Delaware also prohibits any preparation or substance producing fumes or vapors that can cause lethargy, inebriation, exhilaration, intoxication, stupefaction or any suppression of the nervous system.
Consequences of a Drug DUI Delaware
Driving under the influence of drugs charge is similar to DUI penalties. If you get convicted the first time, it would be counted as your first offense for DUI. Learn more about laws regarding Drugs and DUIs in Delaware.
Given the consequences of a DUI conviction, you should never plead guilty to drunk driving charges without talking to an experienced defense attorney. Get the best DUI Defense attorney in Delaware, call Ron Phillips today.
All the below information is on top of your trial, so you definitely need a good lawyer to defend yourself from these charges. DUI penalties increase with each offense.
- First DUI Offense: 0-6 months prison, $500-$1,500 fine, license suspended 12-24 months.
- Second DUI Offense: 2-18 months prison, $750-$2,500 fine, license suspended 24-30 months.
- Third DUI Offense: 1-2 years prison, $1,500-$5,000 fine, license suspended 24-36 months.
- Fourth DUI Offense: 2-5 years prison, $3,000-$7,000 fine, license suspended 60 months.
- Fifth DUI Offense: 3-5 years prison, $3,500-$10,000 fine, license suspended 60 months, class E felony.
- Sixth DUI Offense: 5-8 years prison, $5,000-$10,000 fine, license suspended 60 months, class D felony.
- Seventh DUI Offense: 10-15 years prison, $10,000-$15,000 fine, license suspended 60 months, class C felony.
Learn more about the consequences of a DUI in Delaware.
Drug DUI Lawyer Delaware
If you need to talk to a DUID lawyer in Delaware, contact the Law Offices of Murray, Phillips & Gay at (302) 855-9300. We are expert DUI Lawyers. We have extensive experience as DUI Lawyers in Delaware. You can alternatively contact drug DUI lawyers Julianne E.Murray & Ronald D. Phillips.